WHY SLEEP STUDY IS SO EXPENSIVE?
Yes the sleep study is little expensive, but let me discuss few reasons as to why the cost is more.
- A sleep study is a non-invasive, overnight test that allows sleep technicians to monitor sleep to see what’s happening in your brain and body.It is the “gold standard” of sleep disorders diagnosis. This is TYPE 1 polysomnogram. It measures your brain waves, heartbeat, snoring, oxygen levels, ECG, body positioning and breathing in the presence of a trained Sleep technician. This procedure usually lasts for 7-8 hours.
- The sensors which are used to record the brain activity as well the equipment involved are very expensive.
- Sleep Study is conducted or performed by a sleep technician, the placement of these sensors, the ability to check the abnormality is done by our well-trained, experienced and qualified sleep technicians who have conducted > 200 sleep studies and have around 3+ years of experience.
- After the recording is done, the reporting is done manually in which each page is looked and reported by our well-trained sleep technologist from Indian Board of Sleep Medicine (also certified in Clinical Sleep Health from American Academy of sleep medicine). This person spends almost 2-2½ hours on each report and create a summary at the end which is personally seen and approved by Dr Manvir Bhatia and then handed to the patient.
- If required, our sleep technicians are also trained to identify the type of sleep apnea the patients is diagnosed with and the type of PAP (positive airway therapy) therapy applicable for the patients, namely, CPAP and BiPAP.
- All our technicians are personally trained by Dr.Manvir Bhatia.
- Dr. Manvir Bhatiais a Senior Neurologist, Electro physiologist and Sleep Specialist. She is a Director and Senior Consultant Neurology and Sleep Medicine, New Delhi. She is a co-director of the Ace School of Sleep Medicine for training physicians and paramedical in field of sleep medicine. Her past roles include additional professor Neurology at AIIMS, Chairperson of Dept. of Sleep Medicines at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital. She has more than 25 years in experience in the field of Neurophysiology and sleep medicine. She is the first who started her sleep disorder clinic under Neurology in India.